We love the Yankees. We hate Mike Lupica.
Let us know how much you hate him!
Let Mike Lupica know, too!

Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Who Else Hates Mike Lupica?

I'm always doing research on this little punk ass bitch, hoping to find something I can use against him, other than the obvious (shortness, always hammering the Yankees, being in love with Reyes, shortness, etc) and I recently stumbled upon some funny shit.I've heard about former ESPNer Jason Whitlock talking shit about Mike Lupica. In case you missed it, here is what he said about Lupidouche...

Q: In one of your most memorable appearances on The Sports Reporters, you got into a tiff with Mike Lupica and Mitch Albom when you said sports was just ‘entertainment.’ Lupica told you to go work on ‘Entertainment Tonight.’ You haven’t appeared with either of them since. Have the three of you kissed and made up?

Whitlock: I don't have a problem with Mitch Albom. Lupica is an insecure, mean-spirited busybody. He's upset because I put a clown suit on him on that show and in a follow-up column I wrote for ESPN. His little disingenuous overreaction to an opinion I'd stated previously on the show was staged to try to put me in a bad light. I guess no one had ever informed Mike that the 'E' in ESPN stood for Entertainment. The Little Fella probably won't let the producer (Joe Valerio) have me back on the show again. That's cool. They're mostly upset that I wouldn't participate in their Barry Bonds witch hunt and help them single Bonds out as the creator of steroids. Lupica doesn't like to be disagreed with, and he's spoken so abusively to that producer for years that the producer probably doesn't realize people are allowed to disagree with Lupica. I enjoyed my time on the show. But if the price of admission is stepping to Lupica's drum, I'm more than happy to go without.

Pretty funny shit!

Anyway, here's another sports reporter dishing the dirt on turd burglar Lupica...New York Post's very own Mike Vaccaro...I have no idea who asked him this question, but who gives a shit...

Q: We have to ask about Lupica. There are at least two other NY-area writers who wanted to do interviews with us, but wouldn’t because of the Lupica question. Are you and Lupica on speaking terms? We’ve got our own theories as to why the masses detest the guy, but do you have any idea as to why he’s so loathed? At the same time … how much of a rivalry is there between the sports guys at both papers?

Vaccaro: I can only speak for myself here, but there are two problems I have with what’s become of him. First, and foremost, is that he simply doesn’t put nearly as much time or effort into the column as he once did. That’s indisputable. He does TV. He writes books, sometimes two a year. He writes his left-wing screeds in the Daily News on Wednesdays. So it’s clear the column suffers for that. He hardly ever travels. He hasn’t covered one Knicks game in person this year, despite ripping them every week. And that’s just the obvious symptoms. Beyond that, I’ve heard him give his explanation for why he doesn’t show up as often anymore, and it’s essentially this: After nearly 30 years writing a column in New York, he’s not going to see anything he hasn’t already seen before. And to me, that not only insults those of us who do think it’s worthwhile to get to the ballpark and the arena—specifically the other columnists at the News who have to make up for the work he finds so unnecessary and inconsequential—but it’s an affront to the very essence of column writing, which is to be accountable and available, to be there.The other issue I have, frankly, is the way he treats people. I’ve been around too many good, talented people who also write columns for a living—Dave Anderson leaps to mind, and Harvey Araton, and Filip Bondy, and Mark Kriegel, and Bob Ryan, Steve Serby, and Bill Plaschke; it’s a substantial list—who believe that treating others properly is just as much a part of having a high-profile job as anything else. They won’t throw a public fit if they don’t like the seat they’ve been given. They won’t threaten to have people fired in a hissy fit. One of the great ironies, to me, is that Mike made his bones in this business by standing up to Dick Young, who in his declining years became a bitter ideologue who took great pleasure in ripping other writers in his columns. Young, I have to believe, is having a great laugh right now whenever he reads Lupica writing about “the coverage” of the local teams from high atop his Connecticut perch.

As for our relationship, we have none. It ended when I came to the Post, he started lobbing subtle, stupid shots at me in his “Lip” column and I started returning fire in my Sunday column. It’s unfortunate. The guy used to be a hero of mine.

Holy SHIT!! That is GOLD, JERRY!!! If anyone else finds any dirt on butt pirate Lupica, please email it to me.

We'll all have a good laugh at his expense!

From: JTPYX 1977:

I'm at college and the guy in the room next door is a jounalism major. He's writing a paper on Sports Journalism and he calls a young Daily News columnist, Mike Lupica. Believe it or not, Lupe is cool and helps my dorm-mate out.

1987:As a Jet fan, I travel to CLE to watch the JETS play the Browns in the playoffs. It was a SATURDAY game. The Giants are playing the next day so the whole NY press corps is on the plane with us the next morning....heading back to NY at 7:30. I see Lupica struggling to put something in the overhead (he's actually so short he'd have trouble putting something UNDER his seat) and I say, "You look a lot like Mike Lupica." Ever gracious, he fucking ignores me....(I'm 2 feet away)....so, I follow up with, "Dont'cha?" He snottily replies, "Yeah, I'm his twin brother." Turns out the shithead has the seat right next to me, so he's stuck with the "reader" for 2 hrs or so. What a douchebag.

1997: I get a job in media and I have the chance to go to JET games in the press box. Lupe doesn't make it out to too many things but one day....there he is....front and center in the press box at the M'lands. He's so attention-starved that he never shuts the fuck up. Talking loudly and constantly he just makes a pest of himself to the 50 people w/in earshot. I've been to about 20 games in the press box and he's the only one with the "look at me - look at me" diva-vibe going on. What a punk.

No comments: